Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding vs. Dream Wedding

After the glamour, glitz, media and vows have come and gone in the end a wedding is the union of two people, the joining of two families. Of course most girls fantasize about what their dream wedding will be composed of from the dress to the location to the food, but is a royal wedding really the dream wedding? I think not, as a symbol of the british monarchy every aspect of that wedding has standards that it must live up to. Her dress, shoes, makeup, the food, the carriage, even the color of the horses must be within the guidelines of what is appropriate for a future queen. That said, yes I'm sure Kate had some say in the details of the day, but her decisions were most likely chosen from a narrow list of details already approved by some monarchy council. When little girls begin to design their dream wedding they aren't necessarily choosing from a predetermined list, after all thats the point of a dream wedding. Yes, the royal wedding of William and Katherine was gorgeous and no detail was left unchecked, but the rigid guidelines and restrictions to me would not be worth it. Not to mention that your day is supposed to be an intimate, emotional experience, and I don't think having everyone in the world watching would constitute the intimacy I would want on that special day. I definitely wouldn't want to be under the scrutiny of Joan Rivers because of what I wore, or what food I served. All in all, I think that dream weddings are just that a way to think outside the box and create something that means something to you. Maybe for Kate that was her dream wedding, but to me I need a little more creative freedom and independence in planning my dream wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment